#6: Lost in Translation (2003)

Director Sofia Coppola blew me away in this off-beat story about the unlikeliest romance to sprout and the drama, and often comedy, to follow. Bill Murray (him again) plays Bob Harris, an actor who doesn't seem too pleased with what he's currently getting out of life.



He travels to Japan to shoot a commercial for Suntory whiskey. "For relaxing times, <dramatic turn> make it Suntory time... " "Akuwaru insebo rentato arigatou hajimeshate. Okime! Rentato,  hajimemashite!" "She says, 'More intensity.'" That scene alone had me in absolute stitches. It involved some remarkably fantastic acting to go along with the scripted brilliance, and it worked. One of the funniest scenes in a film, EVAR.


I was round-about 18 when this came out, and I remember not being able to control my laughter in the cinema. Wynand and I watched it many times since, on DVD. At the time of the cinema screening, I was convinced that it was just about the best film I've ever seen. Not much has changed in the time since. I've seen some remarkably brilliant films, and changed my opinion of previous films. I've become unafraid to impart my own beliefs for rating a film on the world. Previously, I cared more about the "art" and "purity" of a film than how responsible it was for entertainment.



Bob meets Charlotte, played by Scarlett Johansson, married to an emotionless photographer, played by Giovanni Ribisi. Throughout the rest of the film, the amazing Bill Murray and Scarlett Johansson delight us with their antics. They search for meaning in their lives, together. They're improbable travel companions who experience near-constant hilarity at the hands of the crazy Japanese. A game show appearance and karaoke with locals about sums up the experience. I won't spoil many of the incredibly emotional moments between the two. They're so well done.


The film evokes an unmistakable feeling of realism and "Wow, that's so true!"-feelings. It captures a part of the human experience that we've all gone through and endured. It wasn't until I'd experienced culture shock in Taiwan, similar to what Bob experiences in Japan, that I recognised exactly how accurate this was. We've all felt lost in similar situations, just like the title of this. This is a true sakura beauty. 18/21.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#2: World of Warcraft (2004)

Lil' Dice - Roll 'em! Or not...

God wants us to be with Him...