#7: Casablanca (1942)

The oldest film on this list, by quite some margin. Wynand and I bought a second-hand book of "Classic Movies to Watch" and started working through it. By the time I'd read the Casablanca entry, I was convinced that it was simply a stylish thing for any film fan to do: to love Casablanca.


I've learnt an extraordinary number of lessons in life, and my greatest period of learning always seems to be at the current moment. I certainly learned this was a film to take your breath away. I learned that just because everyone else seems to love something, that gives you no reason to hate it simply to "be cool". This is truly beyond cool, even "too cool" for the "cool kids".


Hearing the words "Play it, Sam. Play 'As Time Goes By'." or "Here's looking at you, kid" or even "We'll always have Paris." does something to me. It evokes such amazing and treasured memories. It was an out-of-this-world feeling to watch this so-called dinosaur-epic, and yet catch all the in-jokes & references, to be gay yet fully appreciate the blossoming romance between actors Humphrey Bogart and Ingrid Bergman, and simply have FUN.



I believe this film has the most quotations in the venerable AFI's list of "Top Film Quotes of All Time". Some would say "For a bloody good reason!" while puffing on their cigars. Think: Winston Churchill.



Like many of the greatest films, Casablanca taught me something other than the aforementioned: Have fun while you can. You never know how long it's gonna last. Maybe that's not its primary message, with all the pro-war jazz, but it's equally important. 18/21.


Honourable Mention: Scarface (1983)




A soundtrack that regularly blasts through my headphones, one of Al Pacino's greatest roles and stunning over-the-top violence, what more needs to be said about this? Like I mentioned in the Cidade De Deus entry, it's another of my all-time favourites, and really deserves to be on this list. It's gobsmackingly enjoyable and brilliant. I'm thinking very seriously of including it over Django Unchained. Both require a re-watch. Not in the current edition of my list then, it definitely deserves to be on some "Best Acting Roles" compilation.

The role of Al Pacino as Tony Montana, and the way he spirals off the rails with cocaine-fuelled orgies of violence, is ORGASMIC. Grand Theft Auto: Vice City was largely based on this, just to give you an idea. If you haven't seen this, rent it. It's a pure hedonistic blast. Party 'till the sun comes up! 18/21.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#2: World of Warcraft (2004)

Lil' Dice - Roll 'em! Or not...

God wants us to be with Him...