#2: The Matrix (1999)

A blend of Hong-Kong-style kung fu to get your blood pumping, this is sure to have a similar reaction with some feeling: "Ag no...not the stupid Matrix again..." Let me explain why I believe this was an entirely monumental and culture-changing iconic film.


I was in my junior year of high-school when this came out, so either 13 or 14. After we came out the cinema, I'll never forget that a whole host of kids were running up against walls, and then bouncing off, desperately trying to display some of the tricks shown in this film. This continued for many, many years. Even today, you wouldn't be surprised to be at a party or braai and witness someone (perhaps tongue-in-cheek) showing off Neo's bullet-time moves. Come on, ridiculously cool games like Max Payne shamelessly ripped it off.


Hell, at the previous place I worked, there turned to be a guy known as someone from here, which ended up being a constant source of amusement for me and my colleagues. That's 14(!) years later, and that's why I'd suggest the cultural impact was unparalleled. 


I remember thinking: "Hell, if I WAS in the "matrix", I wouldn't know! Would I?" And that part is just so. You wouldn't. Sure, you'll meet the odd man who maintains that "IT WAS SO UNREALISTIC. YOU CAN'T POWER A WHOLE SOCIETY OFF OUR OWN BIO-THERMAL ENERGY!!" Y'know, the ones who seem to take offense to the amazing Bible-inspired story-line, who spout the biggest load of BULLSHIT about a film that was meant to entertain, first and foremost. Watch the lobby scene on YouTube (after 14-odd years, and I'll even make it easy for you) HERE and enjoy a fantastic amalgamation of thrilling "makes-you-feel-like-a-school-kid" action. I CHALLENGE you to state that this scene wasn't entertaining. When "Spybreak", by The Propellerheads came on, OMG. I'm gonna go out on a limb here, and state that it is the most amazing action scene ever shot.


Yes, there are *some* loopholes in the story, but as a teenager, this captured my imagination more than any other film. Are you honestly one of those people who didn't enjoy this? Honestly? I don't care that it's not some other random critic's most dramatic film ever. I DON'T CARE. It is, without a doubt, one of the most classic ever, and thoroughly engaging, entertaining and never boring. Keanu was unerringly brilliant as Neo. Laurence Fishburne was a joy as Morpheus. And Carrie-Anne Moss as Trinity? Oh yes, she just oozes cool. This whole thing does...just stand back a bit. You might get some on your "wanna-impress-my-accounting-manager"-shirt. 20/21.












Comments

  1. Do you get it? Speak to me. :-) Watch it again if you have to. Do it. It's a metaphor. :-) :-D

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

#2: World of Warcraft (2004)

Lil' Dice - Roll 'em! Or not...

God wants us to be with Him...