#3: Terminator 2: Judgment Day (1991)

This came out 7 years after the original, and at a time when a young, impressionable Konrad was playing with G.I. Joe's and Bravestarr action figures. I think "ultra-cool" and "getting-my-pants-off-awesome", along with more serious publications' "genre-defining" and "pop-culture icon" were, shall we say, understatements.


Naturally, I reckon this IS BY FAR Arnie's best role. Who hasn't seen this? Honestly, it defined the 90's. Director James Cameron, guess what? Did it AGAIN. Btw, he's also done one or two other films. Including writing and directing the two highest-grossing, by some margin (oh, $1 BILLION or so), films of all time. At a $90 million budget or so, this wasn't his cheapest ever, but it made around half a BILLION in it's first year alone. That's U.$. billion, with a B.


So, why did it grab our imaginations so? It was the time when robots and so on were still "WTF" cool, arcades were becoming very popular in back-water S.A., the C.G.I. wasn't half-bad, the story-line was decent, young kids like me identified with the rebellious teen John Connor (played by Edward Furlong)...IT WAS GREAT! I dunno if it's just me, but to fuse two dissimilar things, names such as Cyberdyne Systems, Miles Dyson, T-1000 and SkyNet just warm the cockles of my heart. 



Reading through a plot synopsis of this, I was immediately filled with two emotions. One of them was: "This is so so cool! I wanna watch this again!". I can't possibly condense all of my childhood and sci-fi fantasies into something coherent, without taking an eternity to do so. Please just believe when I say that this has to be seen. It's not optional. We're truly in the arena of LEGENDARY here. I don't mean it in the Barney Stinson sense of the word, either. Everything about this just screams "COOL!". This is a lot of our childhood memories thrown into two hours of major joy.


All you need to know is that a T-1000, which is a lot more technologically advanced than the Arnold Schwarzenegger T-800 model, is sent back in the past by SkyNet (the A.I. who commands the terminators against humanity) to kill John Connor. In the future, John Connor sends a captured T-800 back in time to protect himself. John Connor's mother, Sarah, is in a mental institution because of the after-effects of the first film. They end up breaking her out (present-time), and they go on one of the GREATEST ADVENTURES EVER!


There we go, that's "Terminator" for your granny, or whoever's never seen it. Like many others, at first I thought it was over-rated by the kids in primary school. Turns out, there was a reason for it. 19/21.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#2: World of Warcraft (2004)

Lil' Dice - Roll 'em! Or not...

God wants us to be with Him...