Good morning, class. Please, sit down!

Well, the Dota 2 game idea was prototyped and I realized I'll have to change it. Why? The format of the game, the hundreds of choices, are better suited to the computer than a board-game. So, I'd like to take inspiration from it, but to not make it exactly the same.


Walking into a toy-store looking for a random object, a display of a "Pirates!" colouring book caught my eye. Suddenly, a couple of ideas flew into my head. No. 1 - I LOVED playing Sid Meier's Pirates! Truly a legendary game. Then I thought back - I had been SO INTO pirates and everything that goes with them when I was a kid. I clearly remember a pirate-themed birthday party when I was around 8 or so.


I'd been thinking for a while that I really find the draft portion of a professional Dota 2 game to be fascinating. For a board-game, I'd have to narrow the number of possible selections down to around 20-30, for production efficiency and play railroading reasons. Choice is good, but sometimes you can have too much of a good thing. With that in mind, I thought about drafting a bunch of famous-type seafarers. Peg-leg Pete, One-Eyed John and so on. With an interesting, short but sweet historical background behind each character, and with enough strategical choice in their functions, it could be really cool to draft two teams of 5 pirates each.


It always been an idea that since Dota 2 is a game of 5 against 5 heroes, but obviously it's very unusual to get 5 players, or even an even number, together to play. So it could be 2 against 1, or 3 against 3, or whatever. In each case, a "team" would control 5 characters. There should be some sort of balance component when there are two players against just one guy.

So after the draft portion, where 5 pirates are drafted per team, a trait will be chosen for each pirate. There will be around 12 traits to choose from. Next, you would buy items. No-where near as many as Dota 2, but inspired by the starting item-purchase portion of that game. Furthermore, there would be event cards obtained throughout the game. These represent big events that happen. I'll later explain exactly how they would work.

In Dota 2, a lot of the game is controlled by the towers on each side and the timing of their loss for each team. The rate of them going down, so to speak. Based on that, every phase of the game will be controlled by the various pirate ships being improved by big things like extra firepower, manpower etc. As in, the phase "after someone got their first firepower improvement." That would be a remarkable event that everyone would remember. 

There are so many ideas running through my head right now, especially thinking about the luck component of the game. I'd prefer it to not have a MAJOR effect on the game. The deciding factor should be skill, but having some amount of luck is important from a game design point-of-view. More updates as things come to mind.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#2: World of Warcraft (2004)

Lil' Dice - Roll 'em! Or not...

God wants us to be with Him...