Eminem: "The truth is..."

...you don't know what is going to happen tomorrow. Life is a crazy ride, and nothing is guaranteed.



Who would have thought the great poet himself would have something so eloquent to say about life?

I'm only being very slightly facetious when labeling Eminem a "great poet". People who know me, understand that I LOVE rap/hip-hop/call-it-whatever. Eminem is a LYRICAL GENIUS. His are truly very well thought-out. I'm pretty much a fan of his very early work. In addition, he was never a rhythmical master.

I suppose it's my great love of the English language. Its expressiveness and variation are, IMO, unparalleled. Some people find the journey I made, pretty much becoming English, to be weird and off-putting. Crazy, some would say. To be perfectly clear, I am not embarrassed, AT ALL, to admit my Afrikaans roots. Having said that, I just find myself not-quite-agreeing with some of the more traditional/conservative beliefs. Reading that statement again, it seems to be a clear contender for Understatement of the Year™. Fairly often, I go "HELL NO."

 

So, who do I think are rhythmical masters? Without a doubt, my favourite rappers are Christopher Wallace and the group Bone Thugs 'N' Harmony. What's that? Dunno Christopher Wallace? Don't feel bad. He's better known as the inimitable Notorious B.I.G., a.k.a. Biggie Smalls. He's my absolute favourite. Certainly not ALL of his songs, but ones like (obviously) "Hypnotize", "Juicy" and "Big Poppa". Let's not forget the song on which he collaborated with Bone, "Notorious Thugs". For someone like me, it's damn cool. Furthermore, his image was a P.R. guy's wet dream. So cool.


Locally, I absolutely love Khuli Chana! Please listen to No More Hunger - Official Video if you have ANY interest in the genre. Even if you don't, the images of Johannesburg and everything that goes with it have been tremendously well-done. When I retrieved the link for this, I simply couldn't help but jam along.

So, I suppose it is slightly unusual for an Afrikaans white boy to say, but I'm very proud of it (something Wynand totally changed about me): I LOVE AFRICA. I stop short of thinking of myself as a "wigga", but I so love black culture. The notion of enjoying life, first and foremost, is unbelievably true and powerful.

 

Fuck it, I'm just gonna say it. LIFE IS TOO SHORT. Never forget that. My AMAZING friend, R, sent me an email that changed my life. It was about a guy who did interviews with around (I might be lying) 7000 old people. I mean octogenarians and up. Old people have a tremendous amount of wisdom for us, and this is the no. 1 message they all wish they could pass on: Life is too short.

If a human doesn't find enjoyment out of life...that's pretty much the only reason for us to be alive. It's not as simple as that, but ENJOY, people. :-)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#2: World of Warcraft (2004)

Lil' Dice - Roll 'em! Or not...

God wants us to be with Him...