Agent CODENAME: Hitman 47

I'm just playing, of course it's Hitman: Agent 47. Or just Agent 47 according to Ster Kinekor's app. Anyway—


I saw it today along with Richard and Lindsey. It was vaguely entertaining. I'll touch on two major flaws, along with one good point about the film in my review.

Let's start with the plot. What can we say about it? Hitman has to kill a megalomaniac world leader and retrieve a nuke to stop him from blowing up the world! No wait, that's not it. He has to travel back in time to—


Ok, I confess. I didn't really get the plot. I'm sure Richard would be disappointed here. To sum it up, there's a girl. She was created and genetically mutated to be paranoid by her father, an evil scientist who mellowed out like a hippie with orchids 'n' stuff in Singapore when he got older and developed lung cancer. People from Syndicate want him, because he's the only one who knows how to make new super soldiers, or AGENTS. Zachary Quinto's character has to stop Agent 47 from killing him because Syndicate need him. Quinto first befriends Quatre-Vingt -Dix, or Katia and appears to try save her from the presumed bad guy, the Agent. You see, she's Ciarán Hinds' (the evil scientist's) daughter. Or Quinto's the bad guy?

I dunno, the plot's a mess. At some point in the movie, you start to realise that anything is possible. ANYTHING. Agent 47's mother is actually Katia's Polish live-in seamstress. Or Katia is capable of psionic domination of Serbians. Or whatever. I guess it doesn't really matter. It feels like an excuse for a skop-skiet-en-donner film.

And that it is. And that's its best quality. It never really bores you. Sure, many of the fight scenes (and there are a lot) might leave you thinking, "LOL. That'd never happen in real life," but they'd never bore you. The action proceeds at a truly breakneck pace, and the production values are high. Every blow feels crushing and high-octane. 

I'm not sure the movie was very expensive to shoot, but it doesn't feel cheap. I'm sure the Audi sponsorship they got (people who've seen it will know what I mean) helped a lot financially. Sweet but unobtrusive soundtrack too. The ending is satisfying and feels like it was scripted by a professional. It hit all the right notes.

That's the good stuff out the way. Now I can go wild.

So it's as over-the-top as a good comic book. Except a comic book is utterly fantastical from the beginning. It never even approaches realism. This felt like a weird mix of pseudo-realistic action, and balls-to-the-wall unrealistic fantasy. Should I have suspended my disbelief more? Perhaps. I feel like it's up to the film you're watching to help you with that. That's Major Flaw #1.

Major Flaw #2 - Agent 47 is the perfect soldier. He's faster, more intelligent and more resourceful than any normal human. He feels no fear. He feels no emotion.

Neither does the audience. There's a scene near the end where they're standing in an elevator cocking their pistols and getting ready for action. They're meant to look cool and hardcore. I'm sorry. I cared infinitely more about the Terminator, a robot, than these two. I just didn't connect with them. Don't get me wrong, Rupert Friend does a brilliant job of playing the Agent. I just didn't care because he'd never care. He's almost too believable. It's a weird feeling to describe.

It's a fun movie nonetheless. It won't leave you feeling super unsatisfied. You just won't care too much.

10/21.









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#2: World of Warcraft (2004)

Lil' Dice - Roll 'em! Or not...